- Specialist Hubs
- The Role of Specialist Leader of Education (SLE)
- Assessment and Transition Hub
- BME/EAL Hub
- Birth to Three Hub
- Brentry & Henbury Children's Centres
- Knowle West Children's Centre
- St. Paul's Children's Centre and Nursery School
- Redcliffe Children's Centre and Nursery School
- Amazing Twos
- Communication, Language & Literacy Hub
- St. Werburgh's Park Helicopter Stories Award
- Early Mathematics Hub
- Mathematics Hub SLE biographies
- CPD for early mathematics
- Further reading for mathematics practitioners
- Further reading for children
- Maths Professional Development Course Progress
- Family Support Hub
- Inclusion Hub
- Differentiated Early Years Outcomes
- Current research
- Inclusion SLE Profiles
- Outdoors Hub
- Outdoor Audit Download
Many of the articles listed on this page are downloadable if you have access through post-gradulate study (via your university). Alternatively, a subscription may be payable.
Nuzhat Malik, SLE BME/EAL
I have been working in education for many years. Firstly as a part of EMAS/EIAT teams which gave me the opportunity to work across Bristol schools. My work involves supporting children, families and professionals to develop an understanding of issues related to their respective roles in achieving the common goal of narrowing the attainment gap.
I welcome the opportunity to work in the role of BME SLE to highlight the issues for BME learners/groups. I am passionate about working with parents and professionals to close the attainment gap. I hope to develop training programmes for trainee teachers, EYP, other professionals and parents to have a better understanding of the issues we all face. I am also planning to run workshops for parents to empower their function within the education system in their host country.
Emily Smith, SLE BME/EALI have been teaching for 6 years, the last 4 of which have been at Millpond Primary School, Easton. I am also an Early Years Profile Moderator and enjoy seeing the wonderful practice in Bristol.
I am totally passionate about giving children the best possible start to their education. At Millpond, 96% of children have English as an additional language, and 80% are BME learners.
I believe that by giving parents and primary caregivers the skills they need to help their children through some of the most important years in their education, that we can help close the gap, and raise the achievements and outcomes of these children.